Flooding in Southern Maryland May 18th 2018
If you’ve looked out your window these past few days, you might’ve noticed an ongoing and seemingly endless amount of rain and thunderstorms. Unfortunately, for residents throughout Southern Maryland including Baltimore, Waldorf, and Germantown, these storms are expected to last through the weekend with heavy rainfall, intense thunderstorms, winds, and flash flooding.
To stay safe in this intense and heavy rainfall grab your wellies and raincoat and perform these storm safety tips to secure your home and protect members of your family:
- Create a storm evacuation plan and communicate with all family members what the plan is and determine a meet-up area in case you’re ever separated.
- Keep an emergency supply kit nearby stocked with water, food, medicine, first aid, and a flashlight with extra batteries. Your kit should also include an emergency radio so you can stay informed about the storm and emergency warnings and information.
- Unplug electronics and appliances before the storm so they don’t become damaged by power surges or flooding.
- Secure your home by tying down outdoor furniture or moving it indoors so it isn’t damaged or blows away. Also close all window coverings.
Prepping Your Home Against Flood Damage
These thunderstorms are expected to let up over the next few days and the excess rainfall could lead to damaging home flooding. Water damages in your home could lead to structural damages, ruined personal possessions, and hazardous, destructive mold growth. To prepare your home against flooding, perform these fast and easy home maintenance tasks:
- Check sealant around windows and doors and repair or replace as needed.
- Keep home gutters clean and free of debris buildup.
- Cover air vents from both the inside and outside with plastic sheeting to prevent moisture penetration.
Simple home maintenance before and after storms will ensure rainfall isn’t able to enter your home and that it’s able to easily flow away from your home.
Staying Safe During Power Outages
Power outages are always inconvenient for homeowners and not knowing their duration is often a pain-point during storms. To minimize the disruptions of a blackout and safely endure the darkness, keep a flashlight nearby equipped with extra batteries, unplug electronics or have them safely plugged into a surge protector, and keep the refrigerator closed to avoid accidentally spoiling cold food items. Never use candles during a power outage because they could pose a potential fore hazard.
After a power outage, toss any refrigerated food items that may have been exposed to temperatures 40 degrees or higher for two ours or more and restock your emergency kit with fresh batteries, water, and non-perishable foods.
Need a Quick Dry-Off? Call 911 Restoration of Southern Maryland
911 Restoration of Southern Maryland is the leading experts of water damage restoration services and disaster remediation throughout Baltimore, MD and beyond. We provide fast, friendly, and extensive water and flooding remediation services using advanced tools and knowledge to prevent additional damages and restore your home to its pre-flooding condition. Our team is available 24/7/265 to serve your emergency needs and can respond to requests within 45 minutes of your call. To learn more or to schedule a free visual inspection, call us today at 505-225-2254 to speak to a representative.